Monday, May 3, 2010

Tico-tico no Fubá - A Musical Interlude

One of the most famous Brazilian melodies of all times features the ingredient that I've been discussing the past few posts - plain, ordinary cornmeal, or fubá as it's known in Brazil. You may not recognize the title of this song, but I would be willing to bet a nice piece of "bolo de fubá" that you know the tune.

When I was first learning Portuguese, I ran across this song title and it made little sense to me, as I didn't know what a Tico-tico or a Fubá was, and my English-Portuguese dictionary gave me no help at all. Of course, eventually I discovered that fubá was the Brazilian word for cornmeal. Which only deepened the mystery - Why would someone write a song about cornmeal?. Then I searched around the internet for the definition of Tico-tico. That turned out to be the name of a small Brazilian songbird, something like a wren or sparrow. There's a picture of a tico-tico on the right.

I finally looked up the lyrics, on the internet as well, and discovered that the song is a lament - the singer is bemoaning the fact that a tico-tico is eating all her cornmeal, and although she's tried everything to prevent the bird from stealing her precious corn, she's been unsuccessful. The tico-tico is gorging itself on the family's supper!

So know that you know what the song's about, watching the video below to see "Tico-tico no fubá" performed at supersonic speed by the great Carmen Miranda, sometime in the 1940s. I'm sure you'll recognize it.  After watching her do the number, all I could think of was, "How can anyone possibly sing that fast?"

2 comments:

  1. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Follow-Up baby Formula

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnyDesk Crack
    Anydesk Premium Key for free. Professional users can choose from Anydesk Lite or Professional, and three subscription options are available: Power, Professional, and Professional. They cost EUR 8.49, EUR 16.99, and EUR 41.99 each month plus VAT. Anydesk Lite only supports one device per session. It allows multiple devices to be used. Therefore, it allows simultaneous sessions. AnyDesk offers options to allow you to manage your access to video, sound, keyboard, mouse and system clipboard efficiently. It supports proxy servers and graphics acceleration. You can also display the image in multiple modes.
    https://softserialnumber.com/

    ReplyDelete