Monday, February 22, 2010

RECIPE - Pitanga Jam

As I mentioned in my previous post on the Brazilian fruit called pitanga, most of the crop in Brazil is eaten fresh or the fruit is turned into juice. One other common use, however, is in the production of jams and jellies, where the pitanga can be put to very good use with spectacular results. Pitanga jam is not highly commercialized, even here in Brazil, but I have bought small jars in roadside fruit stands, or in shops which carry artesanal foods.

I was unable to find a good recipe for pitanga jam in any of my regular Brazilian recipe sources. I did want to add one to Flavors of Brazil, and by searching on the internet under one of the English names of this fruit, Surinam Cherry, I found an interesting recipe from Africa in a blog called African Kitchen. I am publishing the recipe here adapted from that blog. I have not made nor tested this recipe, but I will do so in the near future. It sounds wonderful.
________________________________________________________
RECIPE - Pitanga Jam

6 cups fresh pitangas, washed, halved and seeded
2-3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (or lime juice)

Combine all ingredients and cook slowly over low heat until the mixture is soft and thickened. Mash with potato masher to break up the fruit. Cool, then refrigerate. Alternatively, the jam can be processed for longer storage, using conventional canning techniques.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Surinam cherry recipe! (aka Pitanga or sand cherry)

    ReplyDelete