Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A New Brazilian Holiday - Baianas Selling Acarajé

In recent posts, I've been discussing the Brazilian traditions surrounding the sale of acarajé by women called baianas. Click here and here for some of the posts.

In the posts, I mentioned that these traditions have received national recognition in Brazil, and have been granted the status of national treasures. But it seems that the Brazilian love and veneration for these humble bean fritters never stops. Brazil now has a National Day of Baianas Selling Acarajé.

Doing some internet research today, I came across a press release from Brazil's National Ministry of Culture, dated 20 January 2010. Translated, the announcement was as follows:
In its edition of this Wednesday, 20 January 2010, The Official Diary of the Brazilian Republic announced the presidential approval for four laws creating new days of commemoration in the Brazilian calendar. Among these, the National Day of Baianas Selling Acarajé will be celebrated annually on November 25.

Since 2004, the profession of these women who dedicate themselves to making and selling this traditional dish on the streets of the cities of the state of Bahia has been recognized. As such, as well, this tradition has already been registered as a national immaterial treasure by IPHAN,Institute do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional.

Acarajé, which was developed as an offering in the worship places of Candomblé, is sold today by approximately five thousand baianas in Salvador, the capital of Bahia. Last year, these baianas were honored by the inauguration of the Memorial of Baianas of  Acarajé (Memorial da Baiana de Acarajé), in Salvador, which displays the history and traditions of the custom.

I've made a promise to myself to celebrate this new day of commemoration on November 25 in the best way possible - by eating  acarajé. Mark your calendars, and join the celebration!

3 comments:

  1. Hi James,
    I can't believe I'm only now finding your blog. What a great compendium of Brazilian food and related matters! I will definitely follow, and link to you on my blog. (Feel free to check it out, and link to me, if you'd like--www.thegoldenpapaya.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "hello!" I've had a quick look at your blog, and will definitely link to it. I've bookmarked it for a more leisurely return visit, when I have time to read some of the poetry. I couldn't resist a quick glance at "cashew". I wonder why that one drew my eye...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khách hàng của bạn muốn nhận hàng mới trả tiền và bạn đang tìm dịch vụ giao hàng thu tiền hộ để đáp ứng yêu cầu đó của bạn. Đặc biệt, nếu bạn là chủ kinh doanh hay là shop online cần nơi cung cấp dịch vụ nhận giao hàng cho shop online. Hãy liên hệ với chúng tôi. Đảm bảo giá của chúng tôi sẽ rẻ hơn các nơi khác. Bạn có thể xem qua bảng giá giao hàng nhanh của chúng tôi để so sánh giá. Ngoài ra chúng tôi còn nhận chuyển hàng đi đà nẵngchuyển hàng đi hà nội.

    ReplyDelete